CoderZone.org
Pages: 1 « previous     next »
  Print  
Author Topic: Stats check - what's really happening here?  (Read 9811 times) Bookmark and Share
phpMan2010

View Profile
« on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:39:26 am »

This is a screenshot from my blog.

You can see a bunch of different hits, often within the same second, from a huge variety of IP addresses.

What's happening?

The blog doesn't allow any kind of comment posting, no one can register, and the content isn't particularly exciting. 

Why would anyone, or anything, waste the time and bandwidth to request these pages?
bizzar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:11:04 am »

spider/internet crawler?
Max

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »

Why would anyone, or anything, waste the time and bandwidth to request these pages?
I doubt it's a person or people. It's most likely some sort of spider or maybe bots looking for something to gnaw on (forms).  It's weird though.

I've practically given up looking at logs...they raise far more questions than I can answer and leave me staring at the ceiling wondering what in the world is/was going on.
phpMan2010

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:43:28 am »

Digging a little further ...

The 'latest visitors' log data shows this for one of the entries:

Http Code: 301 Date: Feb 23 07:44:04 Http Version: HTTP/1.1 Size in Bytes: -
 Referer: -
 Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; ICS)

A quick look around showed 'compatible; ICS' was probably not a person or search engine.

Looking from a different angle, I checked several IP addresses with that user agent at:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_200.139.124.146

A common reaction to this is to block the requests by user agent, and that's what I did, using:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (compatible;\ ICS)
RewriteRule ^ - [F]

These must go before any other RewriteRules.

Finally, to test the site and ensure it still runs, I used http://www.botsvsbrowsers.com/SimulateUserAgent.asp.
Tags:
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: