CoderZone.org
Pages: 1 « previous     next »
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a sample database  (Read 7411 times) Bookmark and Share
Max

View Profile WWW
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:25:14 pm »

We're looking for a sample database table or two to help populate the SQL Sandbox, basically so people will have something to work with when they go there.

There are already a few tables in the sandbox db:

CSS Colors,
A list of  companies
Some fictitious company departments
Some fictitious employees

The last three can be used to try out joins and stuff, but it would be nice to have some other sample tables in there. Anyone have some sources of sample data?

I looked at some geoip tables but they seem a little too big (20 or 30 megs).
bizzar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

I'm uploading a bunch of databases I got a few years back that are pretty common with the people who sell these things... I think I paid like $5 for the lot of them.

Here's the link...
http://www.bizzartech.com/demo/DBs/

I'm still uploading, but they should be all there in about 30 minutes. Hope this helps.
Max

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:46:03 pm »

Thank you, Bizzar, I'll wait a bit and go have a look at them.

EDIT:

Wow, lotta stuff. Smiley

The "airports" one might be useful for people to run queries against. Are there any you'd suggest as being good for people to learn on or play with?

I'm uploading a bunch of databases I got a few years back that are pretty common with the people who sell these things... I think I paid like $5 for the lot of them.

Here's the link...
http://www.bizzartech.com/demo/DBs/

I'm still uploading, but they should be all there in about 30 minutes. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011, 01:51:53 pm by Max » Logged
bizzar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:56:02 pm »

I haven't really gone through them... it was one of those, I'll buy em now and deal with them later if I need them. But your welcome to any of them.... so is anyone. I'll leave em up for a few days so people can grab them if they want. Makes for fun/interesting practice if people are willing to download mysql or oracle xe if they are bored.
Max

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:21:03 pm »

Makes for fun/interesting practice if people are willing to download mysql or oracle xe if they are bored.
I'd consider putting oracle xe on the server here and creating a sandbox for it, but I'm not sure exactly what the licensing terms allow.

They state that it's "free to develop, deploy, and distribute", but I don't know if that covers its use here. They also mention that it's intended for "Educational institutions and students who need a free database for their curriculum", but again I don't know if that includes our using it here. (??)

bizzar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:26:33 pm »

The uploads are done.

The oracle xe licenses are pretty open, but does come with a couple restrictions. I think a 4gb max db size overall and some other minor restrictions. But my favorite saying that came from the developers I work with is, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission".

Cool
Max

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

But my favorite saying that came from the developers I work with is, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission".
Yep, that's been the Guiding Principle for my marriage, lol.

As for the "scriptsdb.zip" file there...hmmm, did someone naughty snag a copy of the database from a certain well-known scripts site?  Grin  goodness gracious, lol.
bizzar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »

probably. I have a ton of nonsense downloaded and saved off to dvd. some things linger on the server at home and I remembered them. I can take it down if it's inappropriate. don't know the grounds rules for random files.
Max

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:23:37 pm »

No, no need to take it down. I also have tons of odd stuff saved here and there. It's easier to archive it in case I need it someday. If I delete it then it's guaranteed that I'll need it a week later.
Tags:
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: